Font Size

Services & Departments

Building Permits

Projects That Require a Building Permit

A building permit is a commitment to safety. The Ontario Building Code Act requires that you obtain a building permit before starting construction. By applying for a building permit, you ensure that your project meets building code, fire, health, and safety standards.

  • New buildings or structures greater than 10 square metres (108 ft²) in total floor area, measured by the outside dimensions, or any size if they include services. This includes sheds, sleeping cabins or other accessory buildings or structures, including sheds and shed packages purchased from a store.
  • Additions to existing buildings or structures.
  • Renovations
  • New or replacement decks.
  • Wood burning appliances, including new or replacement of existing components.
  • Replacement of windows or doors if the rough opening size is enlarged.
  • Relocation or addition of plumbing fixtures.
  • Replacement of interior water supply or drain pipes.
  • Solar panels on new or existing structures that did or would require a permit.
  • Permanent structure greenhouses.
  • Quonset huts and pre-engineered metal buildings.
  • Repair or replacement of all types of building foundations.
  • Note that load bearing cement slabs for all houses or for garages greater than 576 sq ft require engineered design.


Projects that DO NOT Require a Building Permit


  • Accessory buildings (1 storey) with a total floor area of 10 square metres (108 ft²) or less.  Note: Zoning Bylaw requirements must be followed.
  • Fences.
  • Replacement of plumbing fixtures (toilet, sink, bathtub, shower, hot water tank) in their original locations.
  • Replacement of windows or doors provided the rough opening size does not change.


How much does a building permit cost

click here to view

click here for permit application


Building Permit Renewal/Replacement

A building permit will need to be re-issued if the project has been abandoned for a period of 6 months.

What happens if I build without a permit?

As a property owner, it’s your responsibility to ensure that a building permit is obtained, even if you’re hiring a builder or contractor. If you’re unsure whether you need a permit, contact the Building Department to find out. The Building Bylaw and the Ontario Building Code Act have penalties of up to $50,000 upon conviction for illegal construction. We charge an additional $400 administration fee on permits if started without a permit. 


Conservation Authority

Are you planning some work or development on your property? You may require a permit from Quinte Conservation or Crowe Conservation.

Examples of development projects that require a permit include, but are not limited to:

  • Any shoreline alterations or work along a watercourse or wetland including any in-water work
  • Development adjacent to a slope/escarpment or on unstable soils/bedrock
  • New construction/reconstruction of any kind, or placing a building or structure of any kind, or the change of use of a structure
  • Site grading, whether importing fill or removing fill
  • New infrastructure and infrastructure maintenance

You will require a permit if your project is adjacent to hazardous lands. Hazardous lands means land that could be unsafe for development because of naturally occurring processes associated with flooding, erosion, dynamic beaches or unstable soil (leda clay) or bedrock (karst). Wetlands are also considered hazardous lands.

Before you begin any development on your property or near a shoreline, make an appointment with the Conservation authority responsible for your water shed.

Quinte Conservation Regulations Officer by calling (613) 968-3434 ext. 111 or email Here is a link to the website. Quinte Conservation

Quinte Conservation Permit fees from 2018

Crowe Valley Conservation here is a link to their website. Crowe Valley Conservation.  Here is a link to the online application. Crowe Valley Conservation Application


Comfort Country
North Hastings