The Township of Tudor and Cashel through the County of Hastings, has appointed Mr. John Ewart of Ewart, O’Dwyer Barristers & Solicitors as the Integrity Commissioner for the municipality and authorize him to conduct inquires upon complaint for rules governing ethical behaviour of members of Council as they pertain to the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act and Code of Conduct.
The Integrity Commissioner’s responsibilities include:
- Conduct inquiries upon complaint for Municipal Conflict of Interest Act and Code of Conduct matters
- Provide advice to members of Council and local boards regarding their obligations under the code of conduct the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act
- Provide educational information to the public, the municipality and members of Council and local boards about the Code of Conduct and Municipal Conflict of Interest Act
The duties and responsibilities of the Integrity Commissioner are further detailed in Section 223 of the Municipal Act, 2001. It is the responsibility of the Integrity Commissioner to report directly to the Municipal Council.
Complaint Filing Process
Any individual who identifies or witnesses behavior or activity by a sitting Member of Tudor and Cashel Council that they believe is in contravention of the Code of Conduct for Members of Council or the Municipal Conflict of Interest Act may file a formal complaint with the following conditions:
- All complaints shall be in writing and shall be dated and signed by an identifiable individual using the Formal Municipal Integrity Commissioner Complaint Inquiry Form.
- The complaint must set out reasonable and probable grounds for the allegation that the Member has contravened the Code of Conduct or the Conflict of Interest Act. A supporting sworn affidavit setting out the evidence in support of the allegation must also be included.
- The complaint shall be filed with the Municipal Clerk who shall forward the matter to the Integrity Commissioner for initial classification to determine if the matter is, on its face, a complaint with respect to non-compliance.