Building & Planning

Building & Planning


The Building and Planning Department is committed to protecting public safety through the issuance of building permits and inspecting various stages of construction. Through the enforcement of the Ontario Building Code, staff ensure a minimum standard of health, life and fire safety standards are maintained. We do this through the issuing of permits, reviewing construction plans, inspecting at various stages of construction. Staff also track and report to interested parties the status of the construction and compliance with applicable legislation and codes.

Building Permits are required for the construction of new buildings or structures, building additions, swimming pools and for most building alterations.

Call to book an appointment:

Scott Richardson, Chief Building Official
Phone: 613 474-2583
Fax: 613 474-0664


Tuesday  1pm – 3pm
Thursday 1pm – 3pm


Building Permits

A building permit is a document issued by the building department to enforce Ontario’s Building Code in Tudor & Cashel. A building permit is necessary when you wish to construct, renovate, demolish or change the use of a building.
Building Permit Application – simple project
Building Permit Application – Septic
Building Permit Application – House and Reno project

How to Apply for a Minor Variance

A minor variance is applied whenever you wish to construct, renovate, or alter a building or structure in any way that does not meet the requirements of the Township’s Zoning By-law. For example, you may want to construct a building on your property but the minimum setbacks, lot coverage or height cannot be met. A minor variance allows for a minor change from the requirements a zoning by-law. A minor variance is also required if you wish to expand or change a use that is considered “legal non-conforming”.

A minor variance does not change the zoning of a property. It will only allow for minor relief from specific requirements of the by-law in order to obtain a building permit.


Committee of Adjustments

The Committee of Adjustments is made up of all members of Council. The objectives of the Committee is to ease the problems of administering municipal zoning by-laws, which is quicker and less expensive than a rezoning.

This Committee deals with Minor Variance requests. The Committee of Adjustments is independent in its decision-making, and looks to the Municipalities planning documents for policy direction, but the actual decision on any application is made by the committee members themselves.

How to Purchase My Shore Road Allowances

Most waterfront properties within the Township of Tudor & Cashel have a 20 metre (66 foot) wide strip of land that separates them from the water. These “Shore Road Allowances” were put in place in the late 19th century, on Crown land, to allow for logging and the transportation of goods.

Shore Road Allowances still exist today and are owned by the municipality unless the property owner has purchased the shore road allowance directly in front of their property.  Provincial legislation allows municipalities to sell such road allowances to the land owner directly adjoining the shore road allowance.

Provincial legislation allows municipalities to sell such road allowances, excepting any portions of the allowance which are covered by water. There’s an application process to purchase the shoreline road allowance abutting their property and land owners who wish to do so should first speak with the Municipal Planner about their plans.

FILLABLE – Procedures for sale of Road Allowance

Building Permit FAQ's

  • What Projects require a building permit?

    A building permit is a commitment to safety. The Ontario Building Code Act requires that you obtain a building permit before starting construction. By applying for a building permit, you ensure that your project meets building code, fire, health, and safety standards.

    • New buildings or structures greater than 10 square metres (108 ft²) in total floor area, measured by the outside dimensions, or any size if they include services. This includes sheds, sleeping cabins or other accessory buildings or structures, including sheds and shed packages purchased from a store.
    • Additions to existing buildings or structures.
    • Renovations
    • New or replacement decks.
    • Wood burning appliances, including new or replacement of existing components.
    • Replacement of windows or doors if the rough opening size is enlarged.
    • Relocation or addition of plumbing fixtures.
    • Replacement of interior water supply or drain pipes.
    • Solar panels on new or existing structures that did or would require a permit.
    • Permanent structure greenhouses.
    • Quonset huts and pre-engineered metal buildings.
    • Repair or replacement of all types of building foundations.
    • Note that load bearing cement slabs for all houses or for garages greater than 576 sq ft require engineered design.
  • What projects DO NOT Require a Building Permit?

    • Accessory buildings (1 storey) with a total floor area of 14.86 square metres (160 ft²) or less.  Note: Zoning Bylaw requirements must be followed.  (You must already have a primary structure in place)
    • Replacement of plumbing fixtures (toilet, sink, bathtub, shower, hot water tank) in their original locations.
    • Replacement of windows or doors provided the rough opening size does not change.
  • How much does a building permit cost?

    Permit fees are calculated by the floor area of the proposed construction multiplied by the values as set out under Building Classifications below.

    Floor area shall be the total area of all floor above grade measured to the outside face of the exterior walls.

    General Building Classifications

    Building Types Fee
    Residential Buildings/Seasonal, Dwellings, Guest & Additions $1.20 per sq. ft. per floor, $1.00 per sq. ft. of foundation area
    Demolition Permit $200.00
    Farm/Commercial/Industrial $0.60 per sq. ft. per floor
    Garages, Decks, Porches, Accessory and detached buildings $0.70 per sq. ft. per floor
    (2% of value, based on $65.00 per sq. value ft. for value or builders value which ever is higher “on all projects”)
    $150.00 + 2% construction value

    For more information about building permit fees please view our By-law Respecting Building Permit Classes, Applications Fees and Notices required for Inspection.

    You may download the building  Application here.

    Full fee schedule here  2022-23 – Building permit fees amendment

  • What happens if I build without a permit?

    As a property owner, it’s your responsibility to ensure that a building permit is obtained, even if you’re hiring a builder or contractor. If you’re unsure whether you need a permit, contact the Building Department to find out. The Building Bylaw and the Ontario Building Code Act have penalties of up to $50,000 upon conviction for illegal construction. We charge double the permit fee with a minimum of  $400  if started without a permit.

  • Are you planning some work or development on your property?

    Are you planning some work or development on your property? You may require a permit from Quinte Conservation or Crowe Conservation.

    Examples of development projects that require a permit include, but are not limited to:

    • Any shoreline alterations or work along a watercourse or wetland including any in-water work
    • Development adjacent to a slope/escarpment or on unstable soils/bedrock
    • New construction/reconstruction of any kind, or placing a building or structure of any kind, or the change of use of a structure
    • Site grading, whether importing fill or removing fill
    • New infrastructure and infrastructure maintenance

    You will require a permit if your project is adjacent to hazardous lands. Hazardous lands means land that could be unsafe for development because of naturally occurring processes associated with flooding, erosion, dynamic beaches or unstable soil (leda clay) or bedrock (karst). Wetlands are also considered hazardous lands.

    Before you begin any development on your property or near a shoreline, make an appointment with the Conservation authority responsible for your water shed. You can find the online application and fees on their website.

    Quinte Conservation Regulations Officer 
    Phone: (613) 968-3434 ext. 111
    Website: Quinte Conservation

Maps, Zoning and Applying for Land Severance

  • Zoning of Property

    Here are maps to check the zoning of your property.

    The County of Hastings has developed a Mapping program that includes zoning information for the municipalities.  As of January 2019 Tudor and Cashel’s information has not been included in this mapping but other member municipalities information is available.

    Visit the Hastings County Zoning GIS Mapping Website

    Zoning Application

  • Check set back with the Comprehensive Zoning By-Law

    Once you have looked up your zoning through the mapping above you can check the set backs and regulations with regards to the zoning using our comprehensive zoning-bylaw.

  • How to apply for land severance

    When applying for a severance, it is recommended that the applicant contact the Hastings County Planning Department at 613-966-6712 ext. 4002.  This will confirm that there are no restrictions on the property that may prevent the severance.

    Once you have confirmed with the county that there are no obvious restrictions an application for consent form must be filled out.


Contact Us

Scott Richardson
Chief Building Official
Address: 371 Weslemkoon Lake Road, Gilmour ON K0L 1W0

Related Documents