Centre Hastings Family Health Team
The Centre Hastings Family Health Team provides the medical clinic service at 371 Weslemkoon Lake Road on a weekly basis. This is a walk-in clinic, although at this time it is necessary to call ahead for screening. The service is provided Tuesday afternoons from 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. For more information about the Central Hastings Family Health Team please refer to thier website. www.chfht.ca
Gilmour Medical Clinic
371 Weslemkoon Lake Road, RR2
Gilmour, ON K0L 1W0
What is a Family Health Team (FHT)?
A Family Health Team includes physicians, nurse practitioners and a variety of registered health professionals and administrative staff. They work together as a team to provide patients with the health care they require when they need it, as close to home as possible. This reduces the need for patients to travel long distances to access specialized services such as nutritional counselling, mental health counselling, smoking cessation services and chronic disease programming.
Who funds the Central Hastings Family Health Team?
The Ministry of Health pays for the salaries of CHFHT’s nurse practitioners, registered nurses, registered practical nurses, dietitian, social workers and administrative staff. It also pays for part of the supplies, equipment and other operating costs of the clinics (such as rent and utilities).
Due to the way that CHFHT is funded, its primary care clinic services, its after-hours clinics and most of its programming are reserved for patients of CHFHT.The Physicians operate their own privately funded medical practices. The family physicians pay the salaries of their own staff. They also pay for part of the supplies, equipment and other operating costs of the clinics.
What does the Central Hastings Family Health Team do?
- Lung Health – patients who are at risk for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) due to a history of smoking are screened with breathing tests (called spirometry). Patients who are diagnosed with COPD are taught how to manage their symptoms effectively.
- Smoking Cessation (the STOP Program) – eligible patients are provided with smoking cessation counselling and smoking cessation aids.
- Hypertension – patients are taught to make lifestyle changes to help them control high blood pressure.
- Diabetes – this program includes referrals for patients with complex diabetes who require periodic, more intensive care. Patients also receive nutritional counselling and are taught self-management skills.
- Chronic Pain –strategies are developed in collaboration with patients to seek better ways to manage their chronic pain. For patients taking opioid medications, opioid reduction strategies may be included. The program also includes non-pharmacological approaches to chronic pain management, such as meditation.
- Nutritional Counselling – the team’s Registered Dietitian provides group classes for healthy eating and weight loss. The Dietitian offers a full range of services including counselling for patients who have chronic diseases such as diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol and IBS. She also provides counselling for higher-risk patients such as children, patients with eating disorders and pregnant patients.
- Social Work – the team’s two Registered Social Workers promote patients’ mental health and wellbeing by helping patients identify the source of their stress or difficulty, develop coping skills and find effective solutions to their problems.
- Foot Care – this program is for high risk foot care needs, including complications of diabetes. Due to the high demand for these services and the limited supply of appointments available, this program is only open to patients with financial need and a lack of private insurance coverage.
- Ontario Telemedicine Network – If a local patient has been referred by their Physician or specialist this links local patients with out-of-town specialists (such as a Dermatologist or Psychiatrist), via television, right from our clinic sites.
Program availability and details are subject to change.
How do I become a Patient of Central Hastings Family Health Team?
- Anyone who is not presently rostered to a physician should apply to Health Care Connect at ontario.ca/healthcareconnect for the next available physician or nurse practitioner in the region. You can also call Health Care Connect at 1-800-445-1822, Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm.
The Gilmour Clinic
If you are a patient of the Centre Hastings Family Heath Team you are welcome to visit the Gilmour Clinic on Tuesday Afternoons. Call to book an appointment: 613-474-0233
If you do not have a physician you can visit the Gilmour Clinic as a walk-in patient. Due to COVID-19 restrictions they are asking that an appointment be made in advance. Call to book an appointment: 613-474-0233